Your Cart is Empty
Click here to try again
Thank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart
Rehman Academic Web CV 2019
Biography - Dr. Scheherazade S. Rehman
Dr. Rehman is an expert on international financial markets, crises management, global economic/political/financial risk assessment, and digital technology cybersecurity risk. She is a Full Professor of International Finance, Director of the World Executive MBA with Cybersecurity, and the Director of the European Union Research Center at The George Washington University, Washington DC. She is a Senior Research Fulbright Scholar. She received her PhD in International Finance (Jan 1992), MBA (May 1989 with honors), and BBA (May 1985) at The George Washington University. Her PhD was officially mentored by the late Sir Alan Walters (former Chief Economic Advisor for U.K. PM Margaret Thatcher and Vice-Chairman of AIG).
Dr. Rehman sits on various private bank and academic boards of directors. She advises various U.S. government agencies i.e. U.S. State Department, National Security Agency, Congress (Senate), Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA, World Bank, IMF, OPIC, USAID, and several central banks/finance ministries.
Dr. Rehman is regularly invited for keynote addresses i.e. American Bankers Association, World Bank/IMF, Brookings Institute, Heinreich Boll Foundation, Atlantic Council, Booz Allen Hamilton, Wilson Center, Missouri Valley Economic Association, and has delivered the distinguished Douglas Y. Thomas Visiting Economist Series Speaker address (previous speakers have been Milton Friedman, Robert Barro, Deidre McCloskey, James Buchanan, and Douglas North).
Dr. Rehman has written over 80 scholarly articles, book chapters, conference papers, and published 7 books, including Financial Crisis Management in Regional Blocs, The Path to European Economic and Monetary Union, The Quest for Exchange Rate Stability in the Next Millennium, and (co-authored) Corruption and Its Manifestation in the Persian Gulf (2010).
She is a recognized national/international media subject matter specialist and regularly guests on national & international televised and radio programs i.e. PBS Newshour, BBC World News, CNBC, COLBERT Report, Al-Jazeera, Reuters, C-Span Wash-Journal, VoA, NPR, Wharton Marketplace. She blogs for the U.S. News and World Report for World Report and the Huffington Post and has, recently, been quoted in the Washington Post on the impact of big tech on multiple occasions.
THE GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY SUMMARY
- Full Professor of International Finance (School of Business) and International Affairs (Elliott School of International Affairs) (1991-current)
- Director, World Executive MBA (WEMBA) with Cybersecurity (2012-2019)
- Director, European Union Research Center (1998-current)
- Member, Board of Directors, American Consortium on European Studies (2001-current): partnership of GWU, Georgetown Univ, Johns Hopkins Univ, American Univ, George Mason Univ and affiliated partners with Catholic Univ, Gallaudet Univ, Howard Univ, Univ of Maryland, and Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars/Smithsonian Institution (2001-current)
- GW University Faculty Senate (2009-current)
- Chair, GW Faculty Senate Executive Com (2013-2014), GW Faculty Senate Executive Com (2011-2014)
- University Strategic Executive Planning Committee, Office of the Provost (2011-2013)
- GW Professorial Fellow of International Finance (endowed 5-year fellowship, 2012-2017)
- Director, Joint International MBA-MA Degree Programs (1994-2005)
- President, Beta Gamma Sigma (international business honor society for AACSB-accredited schools)
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE SUMMARY
- Board of Directors, CoBank (Risk Committee): CoBank is the largest private providers of credit to the US rural economy with more than $125 billion assets, the bank delivers loans, leases and other financial services to agribusiness, rural infrastructure and Farm Credit customers in all 50 states (2019-current)
- Board of Directors, International Trade & Finance Association (2002-current)
- Senior Lecturer on Technology Changes and Cybersecurity Financial Risk at the National Security Agency?s Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences- Interagency Institute for Federal Health Leaders for the five branches of U.S. federal health services (US Army, US Navy, US Airforce, US Public Health Service and Veterans Affairs). (2012-current)
- President and Managing Partner, International Consultants Group: international financial markets consulting company, private/public client global risk assessment/international financial strategic mgt (1989-current)
- President, International Trade & Finance Association (2015-2016)
- Foreign Exchange and Money Market Trader, Bank of Credit & Commerce Intl (Bahrain, 1985-1987)
GW TEACHING, RESEARCH AND SERVICE RECOGNITION AWARDS
- GW Oscar and Shoshanna Trachtenberg University Teaching Award (one recipient annually for the singularly prestigious university-wide teaching award for undergraduate)
- GW Bender University Teaching Award (2-3 recipients annually for the singularly prestigious university-wide teaching award for graduates)
- GW Board of Trustee/Senate University Citation University Resolution for Outstanding Service and Excellence in Service to the University as Chair of the GW Faculty Senate
- School of Business Board of Advisors Faculty of the Year Award
- GW Deans External Outreach Award
- Multiple GWSB Undergraduate, Graduate, and Executive MBA Outstanding Faculty Teaching Awards
- GW Institute of Public Policy (GWIPP) - University Policy Research Scholar Award
- GW Service Excellence Celebration Choice Award?Parents Choice Award Finalist
- Graduate Faculty of the Year Award (MBA Association)
- Best Research Publication in Journal
- Other GW Awards: GW Newsmaker Award, First Annual Outstanding GW Women of the Year Award, GW Distinction for Excellence at an External Organization, Distinguished GW Faculty Award, GW School of Business Board of Advisors Faculty Distinguished Faculty award
- Other: Oxford University Residency (U.K.) specialized on World Economy and International Trade, and GW President?s Office sponsored rep as discussant to The Ditchley Foundation (U.K.) conference on Globalization of Competition Policy.
- Senior Research Fulbright Scholar, Fulbright Program, U.S. Department of State
- European Union Commission Grant Award, Brussels, Belgium. The European Union Center of Excellence Award. EU Research Center-ACES GWU Grant Principal and Director ($2.2 million)
- GW Professorial Fellow of International Finance award (endowed fellowship, 5 years, $100,000).
- GW Center for The Study of Globalization Research Grant Award for Global Competition Policy: Winners, Losers and Limitations ($36,812)
- GWIPP University Public Policy Research Scholar Award ($10,000)
- GW President?s Office Research Seed Grant, GW European Union Research Center, Grant Director ($50,000)
- GWSB Summer Competitive Research Grants for Faculty Research ($47,000) (5 consecutive years)
- GW GAMOW Sponsored Research Grant - Office of the VP for Research/Office of the Provost
PROFESSIONAL RESEARCH EDITORSHIPS
- Editor-in-Chief, JIBE Journal of International Business and Economics (2016-current
- Editor-in-Chief, GW-EU Research Center Working Paper Series (1998-current)
- Editorial Advisory Board, Global Economy Journal (1999-current)
- Editorial Board, IJBR International Journal of Business Research (2015-current)
- Reviewer Board: International Trade Journal, Journal of International, Law and Business Review of the Americas, Thunderbird International Business Review, Global Economy Quarterly, Association for the Study of Religion- Economics-Culture, Eastern and North African Economics Journal, Global Economy Journal (current)
SELECTED KEYNOTE SPEECHES
- 26th Annual Conference of Intl Trade & Finance Association (IT&FA), Global Risk, CA.
- Keynote speech for Plenary Session Europe?s Economic Future? 25th Silver Jubilee Annual Conference of International Trade and Finance Association, Florida
- Keynote speaker, American Bankers Association, Global Sovereign Debt Crisis, Wash D.C.
- Keynote Panelist for State of the Union Keynote Address, Missouri Valley Economic Association (MVEA), St. Louis, Missouri.
- Keynote Speaker for Semi-Annual Dinner Address to the Economic Advisory Committee of the American Bankers Association, Washington DC.
- Featured Speaker on a panel, Economic Crisis, Political Rebound: The State of the European Union, jointly hosted by the Center on the United States and Europe at the Brookings Institution (CUSE) and the Heinreich Boll Foundation, Washington D.C
- Rebuttal Keynote Speaker for Turkish Minister of Economics. Recent Developments in Emerging Markets and Where Does Turkey Stand at the World Bank-IMF, American Turkish Association, GWU sponsored Conference on the New Outlook of Turkish Financial Markets in The Global Financial World.
- U.S. Senate, Congressional Speech: Is the American Economy Unduly Influenced by Foreign Sovereign Wealth Funds? U.S. Senate Capital Building.
- Speaker: Invited to be the Douglas Y. Thomas Visiting Economist Series Speaker at Bradley University ? sponsored by Caterpillar Inc. The Visiting Economist Series has featured seminars by economists including Milton Friedman, Robert Barro, Deidre McCloskey, James Buchanan, Douglas North. Title of the speech: Oil and Arms: A Disastrous Environment for Economic Growth in the Middle East.
- Key Note Panelist, Implications of the U.S. Current Account Deficit: Does the Trade Deficit Matter? International Annual Conference of Intl Trade & Fin Assoc, Lodz, Poland.
- Panel speaker, EU Research Center and Homeland Security Policy Institute Event with Italian Embassy and Deputy Finance Minister on the Challenges of Economic Reform and Security in Europe. Speaker on Panel with Italian Deputy Finance Minister (Dr. Mario Baldassarri) at the Homeland Security Policy Institute on Challenges of Economic Reform in Europe.
- Director, Keynote speaker, and Organizer of International Conference Workshop for World Bank and GW faculty titled Time-distance Analysis: New Economic Methods for Comparing Regions, Countries, and Organizations.
- University Lecturer for Department of Education - Europe Sponsored Program at University of North Florida, on The European Union Confronts its Future.
- Corruption and Its Manifestation in The Persian Gulf (with Hossein Askari, N. Arfaa), Massachusetts: Edward Elgar Publishers, 2010.
- European Global Trade and Finance (edited), The International Trade and Finance Association, 2002.
- Europe and the New Global Economy Vol. I1 (edited), The Intl Trade and Finance Association, 2001.
- Europe and the New Global Economy Vol. 1 (edited), The Intl Trade and Finance Association, 2001.
- The Quest for Stable Exchange Rate Systems for The Next Millennium (edited). Series in International Business & Finance. Special Guest Editor. Essays by Nobel Laureate, IMF officials, European Union and US officials and academics. New York: JAI Press, 1999.
- Book reviewed by Journal of Economic Literature.
- Financial Crisis Management in Regional Blocs (edited): essays by current & former vice-prime ministers, Finance Ministers & Central Bank Governors of Argentina, Switzerland, Hungary, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, France, Kuwait & the Czech Republic. Boston: Kluwer Academic Pub, 1998.
- The Path to European Economic and Monetary Union, (foreword by Sir Alan Walters, former U.K. Prime Minister Baroness Margaret Thatcher?s Chief Economic Advisor) Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997. Book reviewed by University of Oxford and International Affairs Journal.
BOOK: FINANCIAL CRISIS MANAGEMENT IN REGIONAL BLOCS (EDITED), 1998
- Dr. Professor Age F. P. Bakker (Deputy Director of the Nederlansche Bank)
- Dr. Lajos Bokros (former Finance Minister of Hungary).
- André de Lattre (former Vice Governor of the Banque de France).
- Dr. Roque B. Fernandez (Argentine Minister of Finance).
- Dr. Daniel Gros (Director Research Fellow/Centre for EU Policy Studies (CEPS), IMF Senior economist)
- Dr. Arend J. Kapteyn (Economist, Central Bank of the Netherlands)
- Dr. Philippe Maystadt (Vice-Prime Minister & former-Minister of Fin & Foreign Trade, Belgium).
- Dr. Frederic S. Mishkin (former Exec VP/Director of Research Fed Res Bank of NY and FOMC).
- Dr. Franco Modigliani (Institute Prof Emeritus, MIT & recipient 1985 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economis)
- Jacob Nell (Assistant Editor of Central Banking.)
- Dr. Roberto Rinaldi (head of the Monetary Analysis. Office Monetary & Fin Sector, Bank of Italy).
- Dr. Howard Reed (Special Counsel for Fin & Invest Policy, USTR, Exec Office of President Clinton)
- Salem Abdul Aziz Al-Sabah (Governor of the Central Bank of Kuwait).
- Dr. Carlo Santini (Central Manager for Economic Research, Bank of Italy)
- Dr. Professor Hans Tietmeyer (President of the Deutsche Bundesbank)
- Dr. Josef Tosovsky (Governor of the Czech Central Bank).
- Kasper Villiger (Head of the Federal Finance Department, (Finance Minister) Switzerland).
- Sir Alan Walters (former-Chief Econ Advisor for PM Margaret Thatcher & Vice-Chair of AIG International)
BOOK: QUEST FOR STABLE EXCHANGE RATE SYSTEMS FOR THE NEXT MILLENNIUM (EDITED), 1999.
- Dr. C. Fred Bergsten (Director of the Institute for International Economics, Washington D.C.)
- Dr. Bruce F. Duncombe (former US Foreign Service Officer, Office of Invest Affairs, Econ & Bus Affairs)
- Dr. Antonio Fazio (Governor, Bank of Italy; Chairman of the Italian Foreign Exchange Office.)
- Dr. Peter J. Quirk (IMF?s Monetary and Exchange Affairs Department).
- Dr. Dominick Salvatore (Distinguished Prof & Chair Dept. of Economics, Fordham University)
- Dr. Niels Thygesen (Prof Univ of Copenhagen/Delors Com Econ-Monetary Union, European Commission (1988-89)
- Dr. Paul A. Volcker (former Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System)
- Sir Alan Walters (former-Chief Econ Advisor for PM Margaret Thatcher & Vice-Chair of AIG International)
SELECTED REFERRED SCHOLARLY ARTICLES (LAST 5 YEARS)
- Bank Boards Tech Acumen, Harvard Business Review, (pending), October 2019
- Ambidextrous Cybersecurity: A Strategic Learning Integration Approach . Transactions on Engineering Management Journal, (with N.Samarakoon & E. Carayannis), Sp, 2019.
- The Role of Social Capital Explaining Brexit And Its Unfolding, in The Politics and Economics of Brexit. (ed. A. Bongardt, S. Talani, F. Torres), Edward Elgar?s Publication, 2019 (forthcoming).
- The Impact of Brexit on EU27 on Trade, Investments and Financial Services (with P. D. Posta). Global Economy Journal, Vol. 18, Issue 1, March 2018.
- Book Chapter: Brexit: Origins and Future Perspectives (with Pompeo Della Posta) in After Brexit - Consequences for the European Union. Editors: da Costa Cabral, Nazaré, Renato Gonçalves, José, Cunha Rodrigues, Nuno (Eds.), Springer, Fall 2017.
- Technology and The European Union Migrant Crisis, Georgetown Journal of International Affairs, May 2016.
- Mapping Global Financial Risk, Journal of International Finance & Economics, Vol 16, No1, April 2016.
- Mode 3 Knowledge Production: Systems and Systems Theory, Clusters and Networks, (with E. Carayannis and D. Campbell), Journal of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Springer, Article 45, April 2016.
- Secession and the Rule of Law and the European Union, (with F. Perry) Connecticut Journal of International Law, Vol. 30:123, Spring 2016.
- Happy Accidents: Innovation-Driven Opportunities and Perspectives for Development in The Knowledge Economy, (with E. Carayannis and D. Campbell), Vol: 4:7, Journal of Innovation and Entrepreneurship (JIE), Springer, September 2015.
- Quadruple Helix Structures of Quality of Democracy in Innovation Systems: the USA, OECD Countries, and EU Member Countries in Global Comparison, (with D. Campbell and E. Carayannis), Vol. 6, Issue 3, Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer, September 2015.
- The Future of the EU, Global Economy Journal, Vol.15, Issue 2, July 2015.
- Market Concentration in South Asian Banking (with A. Kulathunga), Journal of International Business and Economics (JIBE), Vol. 15. No. 2, June 2015.
- South Asian Banking Soundness Assessment: Access to Bank Financing Measurement, (with A. Kulathunga), Journal of International Business and Economics, (JIBE), Vol. 15. No 1, March 2015.
- Corruption, Constitutions and Crude in Latin America (with F. Perry) Law and Business Review of The Americas [Vol. 20], June 2014.
SELECTED REFERRED CONFERENCE PAPERS
- Brexit Explained and Examined, Intl Trade & Fin Assoc (with Della Posta) Pisa, Italy, 2019.
- Explaining Brexit: Social Capital and Heterogeneous Ethnicity (with P. D. Posta), 28th Annual Conference of the International Trade and Finance Association (IT&FA), May 23-26, 2018, Beijing.
- Reflections on Brexit origins and their economic implications (with P. Della Posta) to the 27th Intl Conf: Intl Trade & Finance Assoc, Pozan, Poland.
- Mapping the Global Risk Landscape: Banking Network Systemic Risk, 26th Annual Conference of International Trade and Finance Association (IT&FA), LA, California.
- Mapping Global Financial Risk, Intl Academy of Business and Economics, Wash DC.
- Market Concentration in South Asian Banking (with A. Kulathunga), International Academy of Business and Economics, Rome, Italy.
- Can Greece Successfully Leave the Eurozone? (with F. Perry), Annual Conference of International Trade and Finance Association (IT&FA), Florida.
- Measuring the Impact of Globalization on Corporate Governance in Emerging Markets, South Asia Banking Sector Soundness Assessment: Access to Finance Measurement (with A. Kulathunga), International Academy of Business and Economics, Orlando.
- The Future of the European Union? Academy of Social Sciences Association (ASSA)/American Economic Association. Paper and Panel Chair, (panel with Carlo Bastasin (Brookings Institution); Antonio De Lecea (Delegation of the European Union to the U.S.); Jacob Funk Kirkegaard (Peterson Institute for International Economics), Boston.
RECENT SELECTED CONFERENCE PANEL CHAIRS
- Panel Chair, Financial Digital Developments International Annual Conference of The International Trade and Finance Association, Italy, May 2019.
- Panel Chair, International Financial Digital Developments International Annual Conference of The International Trade and Finance Association, Beijing, May 2018.
- Panel Chair, The Future of the European Union? Academy of Social Sciences Association (ASSA)/American Economic Association. Paper & Panel chair, (Carlo Bastasin (Brookings Institution); Antonio De Lecea (Delegation of the European Union to the U.S.); Jacob Kirkegaard (Peterson Instit for Intl Economics), Boston
- Panel Chair, Regional Issues International Annual Conference of The International Trade and Finance Association, Pisa, Italy.
- Panel Chair, A Peek Under the Hood of EU Policy Making: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, The ICSB-GWSB Global Entrepreneurship Conference, Wash DC.
- Panel Chair, Socio-Economic Issues International Annual Conference of The International Trade and Finance Association, Beijing, China. [Conference postponed]
- Panel Chair, Currency Issues International Annual Conference of The International Trade and Finance Association, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Key Note Panelist, Implications of the U.S. Current Account Deficit: Does the Trade Deficit Matter? International Annual Conference of The International Trade and Finance Association, Lodz, Poland.
RECENT 2019 MEDIA
- Interview Article: She knows the future of global business technology, and she'll tell you about it, Washington Business Journal, Sept 20, 2019.
- Quoted in a Washington Post article, International pushback disrupts Amazon?s momentum to expand its empire worldwide. May 10, 2019.
- Interviewed by Washington Post on Amazon and India?s new e-commerce tech laws. March 7, 2019.
- New World Bank President public radio program, Marketplace, Feb 5, 2019
- Scheherazade Rehman, Germany?s Merkel Calls on EU to Band Together Against US Policies, Sputnik International radio, Jan 27, 2019.
OTHER: Led 10 US missions in Estonia over the past decade for the ExecMBA in Cybersecurity Practicum to teach and facilitate research on cybersecurity public-private partnerships. Practicums were in collaboration with Frank Cilluffo (former White House Principal Advisor to Director Tom Ridge, President Bush?s Homeland Security Advisory Council post 9/11) and CCDCOE-NATO Cooperative Cyber Defense Centre of Excellence in Estonia. CCDCOE is a multinational & interdisciplinary cyber defense hub and includes a diverse group of experts (researchers, analysts and educators from the military, government, academia and industry) from 25 nations. Supervised over 100 white papers on public-private cybersecurity collaboration in various sectors.
Recent Blog Entries